View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:19 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
There is a budget though. Those centres that are featured on google are some the most expensive centres in the world. I think we have to be realistic in what this city can actually obtain. Perhaps the design could be nicer but it certainly cannot be world class leading. I say that because in order to be such a building, you would need a VERY VERY large budget which is just not fesible for such a small city.

The vancouver convention centre which was first on that list cost almost $1 trillion

Ottawa convention centre $170 million

Winnipeg centre was $180 million (and not overly amazing!)

All i'm trying to say is that at $52 million, people are complaining and perhaps rightfully so. This is a public building whereby the expectations need to be tamed. We really cannot afford a $150 million + centre, hell its unlikely we could afford $75 million (which it will likely cost haha), so at what point do we match our wants and expectations with reality?
Very good post, and a reasonable question. I would say that the exterior can probably be improved within our budget. As well, the building COULD be taller. There is certainly added cost with this being an expansion and not a new building. That being said, $50-odd-million is about the budget of 351 Water Street, from my understanding.

I hope they have the foresight to be building this with the option to build more at a later date. Particularly, to build up.