View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:16 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
I'm just unaware why you and ILYR are seemingly trying to disregard Sask's growth as nothing more than Sask expats, whereas Manitoba has some phenomenal international immigrant wave taking over. I think both provinces are growing in similar patterns. That's just what I've gathered from looking at the statistics, anyway. Sorry if I'm coming across brash, it's not my intention.
The statistics show that Saskatchewan has done better than Manitoba at attracting people from other provinces, including expats from Alberta. Manitoba has not done as well in this regard. However, Manitoba has had an aggressive program to increase international immigration for over 10 years and has surpassed its goal of 10000 immigrants a year. This program has been watched by other provinces, including Saskatchewan, and is now being implemented. So, yes Manitoba's population growth over the last few years has been dominated by international migration to offset losses in inter-provincial migration. Saskatchewan, on the other hand, has improved international migration (not disregarding this by the way), but more importantly has turned around high losses to other provinces to positive gains. This net negative to positive change has had a greater impact on population increase than international migration. One has to look at stats for the past 5-10 years to see these trends, not last quarters results.