View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbitch View Post
Am I missing something here? Maybe its my Cincinnati "can't-do" mentality, but what do others see in Great American that makes it a cut above some of the other retro parks (which, in theory, are just a re-hash of the 1960s-70s cookie-cutter type stadia only with better ameneties aka "Since everyone else has one, we've gotta have one too!").

As far as I'm concerned, the story of Great American Ballpark is modern-day Cincinnati in a nutshell: They had the opportunity to build something great (a la a "Place of the Fans" for the 21st Century) in Broadway Commons, or even a ballpark with an outfield that faced Downtown Cincinnati, but in typical fashion, the damn park was built with a view of the wrong side of the Ohio, and despite the sea of red seats (they're the Cincinnati Reds, go figure!), the building's mix of white and concrete (No green? No red beyond the seats? No multicolored seating as an homage to Riverfront ?) is dreadfully sterile compared to modern parks that were built right (Camden Yards or PNC, for example).

i agree with you 100% honestly cincy dropped the ball with there ballpark.. its ugly.. faces the wrong side and looks cheapish.. like it was rushed or something..pual brown stadium looks very nice and has a future-ish kind of look.. GAballpark.. looks like a crappy minor league park.. that was one of the last retro style parks and it just look like it got on the trend to late.. bush stadium turned out great but i feel that has been in planing for a long time and im sure they had a insane amount of funds to work with... im happy the new twins park and nationals park in DC are jumping off the retro trend

pittsburgh,san franscisco,and baltimore,seattle got it right.. they rest are ugly IMO for the retro styled parks