View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:03 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhsv View Post
That doesn't make any sense. That's so close to the causeway that there's no alternate route. So by the time you see the sign that says "ACCIDENT AHEAD- EXPECT DELAYS," you've already been stuck in traffic for an hour.
Why not put the message board on 565 between Greenbrier and Mooresville? Then you can warn motorists about incidents/construction/delays/icing on AL20 and/or I-65 and they can have the opportunity to use an alternate route.

ALDOT-- Taking the "Intelligent" out of Intelligent Transportation Systems....
That's a good question. Though, my guess would be that then, the board would be in Huntsville, and there would be a lot of junk to work through in order to get the officials monitoring the traffic in Decatur to communicate with the officials in Huntsville operating the board.

The Decatur Daily article says that ALDOT hasn't yet worked out a cooperative system to operate a board on AL 20, so I don't know what's going on.

The best idea would be to have smart access system like Atlanta has, that only allows a certain number of cars through. In this case, some contraption would close off the road passing under I-65 into Decatur, diverting the traffic up the ramp to the Birmingham/I-65S flyover. Though, considering who we're working with (ALDOT) that would never happen.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State