View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I think Granville Island is incredibly overrated, but I'll admit I was a little underwhelmed by the Forks when I first saw it, mainly because I didn't actually go inside the market, because I didn't realize that was the point. I assumed the Forks was the big park which was nice and all, but pretty empty.

Totally changed my mind since the winter hit though. The market inside is probably the busiest place in Winnipeg, though I wish it was more affordable. The skating trails are something to truly be proud of. Should be included in any promotional material ever. I light up like a kid every time I go out there.
What is not "affordable" about the Market? It's free. Retailers set their prices just like a mall or anywhere else you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
As car access becomes more difficult at the Forks I think you are going to see properties near the site developed as residential buildings. The secret is getting out that living within walking distance of the Forks has become a huge year-round benefit when living in Winnipeg. I am very optimistic about south main st. For example.
Exactly. There are lots of people who would be willing to give up their cars if they really felt they didn't need one. As residential grows here and a food market (re)opens, I think it'll be a pretty easy case for people to ditch their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the young adults now think the Forks is cool, need to get residential going ASAP to get their deposit $
Yup – this is exactly what they set out to do. Less tourist and more local. If young people think it's cool, lots more will go – and tourists want to be where the locals go.