View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 10:00 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Actually, the museum reach portion of the Riverwalk is completely different in terms of pedestrian connection than the touristy downtown portion of the Riverwalk. This was done by design to maintain the park like environment it is trying to invoke. Instead of tourists drinking or eating at tables or just tourists in general overcrowding the walkways, the museum reach is for people walking from one area to another, or people walking, running/jogging, biking for exercise. For people walking their dogs. Those people 8 or 9 times out of ten are residents of San Antonio, most who live near by.

That's who this was built for. Local residents who wanted a clutter free linear park along the San Antonio River.
I'm not saying you're wrong because I definitely think there's a lot of value to the Museum Reach as a more park-like stretch of river, but I think the lack of river-level businesses has more to do with that area being in the flood zone. The reason there's businesses on the river level of the river bend is because of the flood barriers that get lowered during heavy flooding. The water has gone up over the sidewalk on the museum reach a couple of times this year already.