View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:16 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I'm not sure we're reading the same articles... I think we're romanticizing the decades of fire-traps, plywood, needles and abject poverty through Hamilton's lower city. I'm sure there are some people complaining in Brooklyn today longing for the 'good old days' of gang shootings, ghettos and complete poverty.

Don't take the bait. Hamilton's 'good old days' were back when we were a manufacturing, insurance, trading and banking capital in Canada. Not the decades since where we've been a lunch-bucket all boarded up with a shrinking population in the middle of Canada's hottest market.

Don't forget the Pigott building was one of the tallest buildings in the British Commonwealth at one time. Today we have NIMBY whiners crying about a paltry 30 or 40 storey development happening here. Some people have become comfortable and accustomed to being a depressed city and want to keep it that way.
Thankfully, the majority don't agree.
oh I am well aware that hamiltons glory days were in the 40s and 50s - I've never seen it at its full vibrancy.. I just don't want to see it become a city without a soul - we have such great architecture that should be preserved, and a way of living that reflects a small town with big dreams

and don't forget- hamilton was mafia built - things got done back in the day - heck look at the amount of craftsmanship in older buildings - granted there were no unions back then so you could great the builders like crap and pay them nothing, but still hehe..

I see the pictures from that era, downtown hamilton being absolutely packed, and let me tell you - everyone dressed up - the poverty seen in the 90s was not reflected back then. No homeless people, no mental patients staggering around, no crack and meth addicts, no prostitots, no buggy people..