View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs View Post
Neither do I.

The LCBO is very minor inconvenience that has some very real benefits. It promotes local wines, employs 10,000 people, and brings in billions in revenue to the province.

Usually, when privatization is floated, it is because the public sector has failed. The opposite is true for the LCBO: It is a rousing success.

Two governments have made election promises to scrap the system and Dwight Duncan has said he considered it when looking at ways to balance the books: Every single one of them (Peterson in '85, Harris in '95, and Duncan in '12) decided against it. I wouldn't expect much different from this promise.
Yes, it is failing through empire building and multi layering. It brings in billions in via what TAXES. It spends or wastes millions with a vast and expensive infrastructure.
I believe with the move to a private sector it will still bring in profit through those same taxes. Just no millions of dollars on expenses.
Yes people have have tried before but don't you think a organization will fight and lobby tooth and nail for the status quo.

This is about a system that has gotten greedy and is no different than an abuse of the system. Why is it that beer is almost half the price in Quebec. Same brewery same country same taxes.
Local brans can still be marketed just more readily available locally. Just advertise the product.
Just taking advantage of us and we are treated like children yet are good enough to pay taxes. Let the people decide.