View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:22 AM
Nashville born and raised

Vanderbilt has decided NOT to share a stadium with any Nashville Soccer team, MLS or otherwise per the Tennessean.

Vandy will continue to play in it's on-campus stadium although no plans for improvements, expansion/contraction or construction of a completely new stadium on campus have been revealed. The team may play a couple of games in the soccer stadium each year, per reports. The investors behind the application for an MLS franchise were hoping for an additional revenue stream from Vandy games to help retire future bonds used to pay for the stadium. The investors indicated the loss of Vanderbilt doesn't affect the strength of the bid.

I, myself, am a little surprised at Vanderbilt's decision. All indications had been that they were in. But there was a lot of blowback from the proposal and I suppose the Vandy administration heard it and reconsidered. I would now suggest major upgrades to amenities in the existing stadium with first class concessions and other services would be the best option. It would certainly take some clever design to fit all this in to the extremely tight footprint the current stadium occupies.

Now, I suppose the proposed MLS stadium will be reduced in size from 33,000+ to about 20,000 which is more in line with the rest of the league.