View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
No one is arguing that the US is, itself, unsafe. However, refugees - especially those from the countries targeted by the infamous executive order - do have legitimate concerns about how thorough or fair their hearing would be in the States. Without being able to access a lawyer or, in some cases, translation for the process, it is likely that they won't get a fair shake. As a consequence of that, they will likely get sent to persecution or death.

Our system here is far from perfect, but it does a much better job at accurately evaluating refugee cases.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone escaping the death in your home country because of your skin colour, sexual orientation, political views, etc. You arrive in a country where you have to argue your case in a legal system you don't know in a language you hardly speak. And if you don't manage to do that, you will get sent right back into the hands of a government which wants to kill you.
Now imagine that there's a country just across the border in which you will get the ressources to properly argue your case. I know that I'd cross that border.
I can understand most of this, but I am pretty sure that interpreters are almost always available to asylum seekers in the U.S., even if they may not be offered by public authorities. Activist groups stateside are extremely well organized. There are lots of people and organizations willing to help asylum seekers (and even illegal immigrants) down there.