View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:52 PM
somewhere in-between

A local Architecture / Engineering / Surveying firm, Wightman & Associates, is making a move from Portage to downtown Kalamazoo's east end (433 E. Ransom) as it expands its staff and aligns itself more with their client base in the area. I think this is good news in several ways - one being an indicator of the increasing health of the metro area's A&E industry, another being a testament to just how much the east end has transformed in recent years to attract new housing and businesses. The company's main office is in Benton Harbor, with a third location in Allegan. They will more than triple the SF of what they had in their current Portage office space.

Here is the property as it looks on google maps today, across the street from the Norbridge Building. It's walking distance from Bell's, HopCat, Green Door Distilling, etc.

The interior aesthetics look a lot like many of the other downtown firms' offices, which tend to be located in repurposed industrial / exposed brick-type structures. By my count, this will put the total count of A/E offices located in the greater downtown area somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 - 20 separate firms, which to me is a lot, given how small the city is.

Images Source: Second Wave Media / WAI

Quote:
Wightman & Associates, Inc. begins renovation work on new Kalamazoo office
By Kathy Jennings | Second Wave Media
Thursday, October 19, 2017

Wightman & Associates, Inc. (WAI) will relocate from its current location in Portage to 433 E. Ransom in Kalamazoo. 

The project will involve the complete renovation of the former One-Way Products building. When completed Wightman & Associates, Inc. will be able to continue the recent expansion of its staff. It also will be able to expand the range of services it provides to businesses and municipalities in the region.

The company’s current 3,700 square-foot office location at 9835 Portage Road in Portage is no longer a fit for the staff of over 30 engineering, architecture, GIS and survey professionals based there. It also lacks client meeting space and adequate storage for equipment and work vehicles...