View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 1:15 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I believe the main reason Westjet pulled out of Brandon was due to 9-11, and an overall decrease in air passenger service across North America. As a brand new (Brandon-Calgary) line that hadn't been around long enough to prove successful, this was a logical choice for Westjet.
The former WestJet YBR-YYC route was only offered as a limited edition trial service. I believe it operated a couple of months one summer, and then again the next year. That was around the time of the AC-CP merger, so it didn't get renewed when WJ got busy expanding in the national market.

Back in the day YBR had a YYC-YBR-YYZ route on Pacific Western 737's, I believe it ran from roughly the late '70's to the late '80's. Also, Athabaska Airways (now Transwest Air) operated a YXE-YQR-YBR-YWG service on Beech 1900D's up until sometime around 9/11. Right now the only scheduled service YBR has is Perimeter Airlines operating twice daily to Dauphin and Winnipeg.

For the right sized aircraft flying the right routings, YBR has potential. It just needs to be on a carrier that can offer onward connections. Medicine Hat and Lethbridge both represent excellent opportunities, as the growth in both those cities has also not been taken advantage of by airlines finding new ways to tap the markets.