View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:20 PM
Fourth and Main

Since this page is over-loaded with photographs and this project has several photographs, I'll give this project its own post.

Convention Center Renovation: Built!
This project looks great! It was a renovation and expansion of the city's 1960s convention center. City officials are calling this project completed, but it's not. This project won't be completed until next week. Next week, they will install metal panels on the east facade and finish construction on a second floor outdoor seating area. I will label it as complete, since the city is calling it complete, and if there is anything interesting to share from the actual completion, maybe I will share it in that week's update? Everyone who has seen this expansion and renovation has said they are impressed. Completion of this project should be great news for downtown. The CVB has already said they are booking significantly more events and larger events, leading to thousands more hotel room nights booked. Wow!

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Credit: ginaelizabethfranco

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

Credit: jeejuno

Credit: teamcvawesome

Credit: ginaelizabethfranco

Credit: k_wedge

This is where all of the unfinished work is located, on the 1986 wing:

Credit: mariawurttele

They will renovate the pedestrian bridge in the Fall, so we could still see workers at the site until the end of the year.

Second floor outdoor seating area (still under construction!):

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Credit: WXII

Credit: ncblackrep

Fifth Street is paved, marked, has new sidewalks, and is ready to reopen to traffic and pedestrians:

Credit: whartongladden

If you haven't seen it, be sure to attend the National Black Theatre Festival events, to see the expansion and renovation work.

The city usually makes coins for events like this (I would like to have one of these):

Sidewalks and Fifth Street are now open:

Credit: brightleafbooks

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on this project. Without you, this post wouldn't exist. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media. Be sure to use WSNC as your tag, so I can find it.