View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Regardless of their design styles (I find that both Canada and Australia have enough interesting buildings) I am disappointed that both countries lack a super tall. Most of Sydney's buildings range in the 200-230M range and Melbourne only has one building pushing the 250M range. Every developer in Toronto seems afraid to go past First Canadian's 298M and that was in 1975. I was so disappointed that Scotia Plaza did not push the 300-350M range. Everyone seems happy with just a new 235M building. Imagine downtown Toronto with something like the 500M Shanghai World Financial Center. It may have 101 floors, but downtown Toronto does have a 5% vacancy rate and has over 150 floors of proposed office space. Why put it in three mediocre buildings when the market would support at least one super tall.
Market values play into this quite a bit. Toronto's core was in a Coma really until the early 00's a few builds here and there but nothing substantial. Now was we see development ramping up there is still only one area where a corporate super tall could be built and that is the traditional Bay Street corridor.

I am happy with Scotia's height as many as stated I will take design over size any day. BAC is tall but since all the costs we're pumped into making the thing LEED the design took a big flop for cost reasons, if it will a shorter tower it would of been constructed with way better design.