View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 1:13 PM
Hans Gruber

I stick by what I said earlier. The steel frame was constructed in an H pattern several floors down the parking garage. Obviously, most crane are poured in cement attaching the base of the crane to foundation.

It's possible the design was flawed and the crane ripped out of the parking garage. However, we had heavy winds several week ago and the crane withstood the wind. Had the crane structure been weakened by the wind, obvious signs of weld breaks or metal fatigue would be apparent. Considering on the day of destruction wind was no factor. Had the crane tipped over without a crane operator on board, we could blame the design of the crane installation. In this case, that didn't happen.

I think the press and the construction industry want to believe this was a tragic accident. Based on close up photos of the cranes base, it looks as if the crane bent under massive pressure, not an uprooted base. My hypothesis after viewing the downed crane is operator error. The guy may have been lifting something that was too heavy for the crane. A crane operator can overstress the lifting capabilities causing a catostrophic accident.

There I said it. In six months we will know if I'm correct. Either way, let the building in Bellevue continue.