View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:21 PM
Perch

Erie Insurance has been remaking the eastside neighborhood around their HQ in their image... basically building a campus. I have mixed feelings about what they're doing. While I applaud the investment of a major corporation in the inner city and their preservation efforts (of specific buildings that suit their interests), they're on a land-grab binge right now and are really plowing down lots of older buildings/houses and using the land as surface parking until needed for future expansion. This defunct gas station/now check cashing spot is definitely no loss, but I'm sure they'll just plow it down and use the lot for parking.

Erie Insurance to buy former service station

http://www.goerie.com/erie-insurance...ervice-station

Erie Insurance Group is continuing to expand by reaching a deal to buy a service station and convenience store at East Sixth and Holland streets.

The property, once a BP then a Sunoco, operated for the past five years as the locally owned Lucky's Food Mart and Speed Check.

The complex, just east of Erie Insurance's headquarters, is now closed and a fence surrounds it. Erie Insurance soon expects to close on a deal with the owner, Sunny Simran LLC, affiliated with local businessman Kulwant "Lucky" Lakhman.

Knapp said Erie Insurance has yet to determine how it will use the property, "but given its strategic location next to our home office, it makes sense that we would purchase it."

Erie Insurance since early 2011 has purchased scores of houses, vacant lots and other parcels on the lower east side, near the Fortune 500 company's corporate headquarters at East Sixth and French streets. Erie Insurance used some of the parcels to build its 1,000-space parking garage, which opened in 2013 on East Eighth Street, between French and Holland streets.

Last edited by Perch; Jan 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM.