View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:15 PM

IMO this is an excelent plan.

Because there is only one rail track between 7th and 8th there is a more room for greenery (to make it more like the most successful block of K Street between 12th and 13th). The only way to do this to move the light rail station.

Actually I think that just by moving the station to the 800 block it will discourage "loiters and hoodlums" because unlike the 700 block- the 800 blook has two rail tracks so there's really no room to hang out and there's going to be more people around.

The interactive fountain is a great idea. No one uses the lawn now -it's a wasted space. This will really bring some fun and refreshing life to the mall. Water is great people pleaser. Let's hope they also follow through with the seatwall because the orginal plan for the park incuded seat walls but they were never built. The seatwall will give people a casual place to people watch. I expect that after the remodel the park will be surrounded by a lot of outside dining (3 Monkey's, Starbucks, and the kiosk).

Moving the kiosk will allow diners at the relocated Downtown Plaza food court the ability to look down onto the park and it will block the 'gap' in the park..making it feel more enclosed -which is more appealing. They also needed to move the kiosk for better pedestrian flow since more people cross on the north side of crosswalk because of the tracks, it's safer and people can see right into the park with it's fountain and will be attracted to enter.

I also like the different colored bands of pavement running across the entire space-in essence expanding the park or square all the way to the buildings that surround it.

BTW is this really a park? Isn't more of a square?

Last edited by ozone; May 24, 2007 at 11:24 PM.