View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:03 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarlin View Post
I worked in the building in the early 1990's and as I recall the original design did include 2 additional buildings.

I believe the design included an exact or nearly exact tower which was to be placed on the block directly to the east across franklin mirroring the one constructed. They ofcourse wouldve had to purchase the block and tear down a lot of buildings but they were not and I think still not especially expensive (in the scheme of loop property). This is supported by the flat side of the building which faces franklin and mirroring building back to back seems to make some design sense.

The other buidling wouldve been placed to the north of 311 between Sears tower and 311 and as I recall it was supposed to be smaller and less dramatic.
I can't seem to find them, but I have seen sketches of a proposal to build three identical towers: the current 311 S Wacker, one on the NW corner of that same block, and one on the SW corner of that same block. There is room in both of those corners for such a thing, although having three identical towers would certainly appear less than ideal. They would have been 301 S Wacker and 321 S Wacker.