View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
30 years ago I had a basement apartment at 1465 Carlton St. A family lived above, and it was very well maintained. Since it was sold and made into more apartments the decline is painful to see. There should be laws that maintain the Heritage Street Scape. In some parts of the US all changes to historic houses must be approved and buildings maintained. I expect that this will never happen in Halifax. I had hoped that Wade and Sam might do something about maintaining historic heritage, but disappointingly no.
I think Jonovision is right, though, that all but one of the Victorians will be preserved and moved to one end of the block. So we might lose one house, which I think is a fair trade-off for the big shot of density. I feel the loss of Victorians keenly, but that doesn't seem so bad.

As for what Waye and Sam can do, it's rally a provincial matter. The city's hands are pretty tied when it comes to strengthening the province's heritage act, which is very weak and in bad need of improvement.