View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 1:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
New York sucks.

I wish those two buildings were landmarked; surely there are plenty of banal buildings on 57th street that can be razed for this tower. Will never get over the Drake Hotel. So many of the buildings that make or made New York beautiful came down or are coming down at rapid speed, while the hideousness remains untouched.
One could also argue that so many buildings that make or will return the New York skyline to the beauty it is known for are going up at a rapid speed.

As is obvious, you can't just replace one site with another. Still, it will be disappointing to see these towers go, but there is nothing particularly landmark-worthy of them. The value to me is in variety of scale on the block. But do I need to see a townhouse on that stretch of 57th? Not really. That stretch of 57th is turning into something else, those townhouses may no longer have a place there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.