View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:47 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: The San Remo
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MARCH 18TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

The site for the San Remo next to the Monaco Towers -- via Google Maps

Quote:
New plans have been unveiled for the long-stalled development dubbed The San Remo in Jersey City, which is not to be confused with the original building on the Upper West Side. The project — which is being built by Mack-Cali — was originally slated to begin construction prior to the recession, but economic conditions halted progress.

Since entering hibernation, The San Remo’s design has seen a dramatic shift; the initial plans were conceived by SLCE as part of a larger project, which includes The Monaco Towers. The recession killed the first version, and Humphreys & Partners — the firm responsible for the design of City Center Towers in Journal Square — has been brought in to helm the revived development.

The change in plans has been beneficial to the tower’s aesthetics, and the new version is taller and sleeker than the old. The development’s ‘Monaco’ towers were completed in 2011, and the latest addition will be a decided contrast to the first phase of construction; while The San Remo’s appearance won’t be knock-out, it will still be palatable for mass-market luxury housing on the Jersey City waterfront.

A PDF via Humphreys’ & Partners website has additional details on the tower’s specifications; it will rise 61 floors, and hold 518 apartments. Units will range from studios to two-bedrooms, and in terms of size, residences will vary from 380 to 920 square feet.

No completion date has been announced, but given the new plans, construction is likely imminent. Mack Cali is also involved in Urban Ready Living – another mega-development set to transform the waterfront — and the collective amount of construction will have an enormous positive impact on Jersey City.

Old plans for The San Remo — image via SLCE

The San Remo — image via Humphreys & Partners

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~