View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:46 PM

Edmonton is definitely more of a 'neighbourhood city', though this is quickly changing with the billions of dollars being invested into downtown. But I think of Edmonton's strong suit, urbanity-wise, as being in places like Old Strathcona, Garneau, Westmount, Alberta Ave, McCauley, the Highlands, and so forth. Very interesting and dynamic neighbourhoods with their own character.

I think of Calgary as the opposite. Not to say Calgary doesn't have great neighbourhoods like Inglewood, Bridgeland, and Marda Loop, but just that Calgary's downtown is so omnipresent and hegemonic. It dominates over the neighbourhoods and is clearly ahead of the curb relative to its size and age.

Funnily enough, I'm trying to think of another Canadian city where it is more of a "downtown city" like Calgary. Maybe Quebec City? But QC is kind of vague in what is "downtown", as it could merely be the Old City, or it could include the Grand Allee area (what is it called? Haute-Ville?) or St-Jean-Baptiste and St-Roch, which functions more as the true downtown for Quebecois. The other cities I tend to think of like it are more the smaller cities, like St. John's, Kingston, Regina, Saskatoon, and maybe Victoria.