View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:19 AM

NIMBY opposition grows against 2-way traffic plan in Downtown:
Source: WTOV9

For many years, there have been rough plans to convert Main and Market Streets in Downtown from one way roads into two lane roads. Recently, Mayor Glen Elliott suggested that the city should begin this project, and city council voted for a $45,000 study on the issue. Mayor Elliott hopes the project will slow down traffic and make Downtown more walkable, but many residents disagree.

To be honest, the arguments against this make absolutely no sense. "I may understand where he will be coming from. It may work in Pittsburgh or D.C. where he was, but not in Wheeling, W.Va. Our population alone is at least 18-19 percent senior citizens," one petitioner said. I am not sure how one way, pedestrian unfriendly streets do anything to help senior citizens - if anything it hurts them. I suppose he's just against anything that promotes walkability, because he is perfectly content with Wheeling's younger generation continuing to leave town. Another petitioner cites the "dangers" of having to be on guard against cars coming from the other direction - apparently he hasn't used 90% of roads before. This project will greatly help the already improving Downtown become more walkable/liveable, but because Wheeling is so backwards, I doubt it will actually happen. Nonetheless, I applaud the mayor for constantly trying to make Wheeling's urban areas more liveable.

Main Street as it is today:

Image Source: Skyrise Cities

Last edited by Dblcut3; Nov 25, 2017 at 6:11 AM.