View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:45 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Nice, nice job staying the course and getting the prize. Do you mind sharing more of your journey there, so that lurkers can benefit from how the heck you got to where you are going?
I had the experience of a mentorship that no longer exists at Arizona State University because they no longer allow individual servers on the network. My father was a professor there and the College of Education at ASU needed some tech help many years ago.

Somewhere around 1995 when I was in junior high I was granted “root” at a Linux box at that college of education which pretty much accelerated my tech knowledge.

From there it became an operations and system administrator field to web programming and that’s what kept my career going until pretty much 2012 when I had to leave Phoenix for better pastures when there were no jobs available.

I continued my Web app experience until 2014 when I fell into this field known as “Devops” where development and operations are fused together so I’m supposed to be two people in one.

I got fucked over and laid off a bunch of times doing this because this field is notoriously pickyand unstable but whatever. I’m working for NASA!