View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:39 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I have to say I really don't feel that Toronto ressembles Montreal at all. I feel completely in a different city when I'm in Toronto. I don't think there is one single intersection where you could drop me in Toronto and I would not know instantly that i'm not in Montreal anymore. It's a good thing by the way. For me, Ottawa looks a lot more like Toronto, albeit in a much much smaller scale.
I feel the same as you too. I go to Toronto quite often, as I really love that place, and one of the reasons is that it feels foreign (in its urban form and scale, the vigour of its new developments, in its cultural life, in the way people have to interact on the street or to invest the public space...) I think both cities are their own thing, 100%. And I am positive about it. In a way, it's a matter of bay and gable versus greystone rowhouse.

If I were obliged to find similarities, or equivalents, then maybe parts of The Annex can feel like Outremont (because of the trees, the scale and the presence of red-brown brick semi-detached houses), or that East York, Christie Pits (strange name) or Dovercourt Park can look a little like post-war Ahuntsic (the part west of Saint-Laurent, at least), but the vernacular and street layout is different enough in any case to make you feel you are not home anymore.

We coud say that King St. is Toronto's boul. René-Lévesque.
Some already made a parallel between Sainte-Catherine and Yonge. I think it works too.
High Park could be parc Angrignon. Or parc Maisonneuve.
And Toronto Island Park would be parc Jean-Drapeau (though, you know, the scale... haha).