Thread: PhoenixMart
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:52 AM

SUNSfan took the words out of my mouth- I think this project would've been a great fit for the corridor between downtown Tempe and Sky Harbor. From a sustainability and logical standpoint, that location would be ideal with its direct access to the airport, light rail, future commuter rail, talent and research facilities, amenities, etc.

Midrise, dense development makes perfect sense there and would be a boost to the area as a commercial hub and help fill in the swaths of undeveloped land that is an eyesore to visitors entering from the sky. I would much rather see this area develop than areas like Broadway and Priest, given the transit infrastructure.

Additionally, I've always thought the lack of density and residential development in that area was a shame given the amount of amenities and attractions that are all so close together: Papago Park, Phoenix Muni, DBG, Zoo and then Tovrea Castle and the Pueblo Grande a bit further. Building a development that is centered on international commerce and visitors makes sense to be located next to the airport and might finally give this area the attention it deserves. A trolley that looped from the Center Parkway station, down Washington, right on 44th and right on Van Buren (with perhaps an additional loop around the first Galvin Parkway roundabout) would be a great investment- finally linking those attractions with light rail, the airport, etc.

I've digressed. In reality, if this gets built, we will probably see "phase I" (the 4ish story commercial building or two)and not much else for a very long time, unless this funding really does cover everything. And, if it does, why the HELL wasn't anyone in Phoenix looking to take advantage of these incentives?!