View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 6:06 PM
World Traveler

Well, the blessing and curse of this is that they don't own that area that is affected. If they could affect so much what others can do on their property, then NIMBYism would be a lot greater. Granted, I hate to see something like that go away, but I like the idea of protecting the hotel's right to do it also. It's not damaging nature or the quality of life of the citizens of Austin - it's affecting their neighbor's view, but they're well within their legal rights. If you are going to run a business downtown (and no matter how long you've been there), you have to know that development is always a possibility right up to the property line in some cases. I'm amazed by people who don't realize this; I sympathize with them, but that is the reality nonetheless.

Edit: One more thing - it looks to me like the "facade" is remnants of an old quarry or something, much like what you see in and around the Y area in south Austin/Oak Hill. If this was a natural rock embankment, I would feel a little more for them. So far as I can tell, it was cleared out and is man-made. Am I wrong on that?