View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:25 PM
PearlHelp.com

South Waterfront project named for John Gray

A subsidized apartment under construction in the South Waterfront will be named for John Gray, a decorated World War II veteran, Portland developer and philanthropist.

The project, which will cater to veterans and low-income renters, will be called Gray’s Landing.
REACH Community Development previously referred to it as Block 49.

The 209-unit project will include 42 apartments for veterans earning $15,000 or less and the balance will be available to low-income households earning half the median family income for Portland, currently about $25,000 for a single-person household.

The $50-plus million project is a joint venture between the Portland Housing Bureau and REACH. It is slated to open in November.

Its namesake is a prominent developer who created Salishan Lodge, Skamania Lodge and the Sunriver Resort. Gray also is a noted philanthropist who has lent support to cancer research, education and affordable housing. He is credited with transforming the Willamette Riverfront with the development of Johns Landing.

Gray earned a Bronze medal for his service with the 82nd Airborne Division during World War II, achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army.

“I am humbled that REACH and the city commission have chosen to name this important housing development after me,” Gray said in a press release. “As a veteran, it is an honor to have my name attached to a project that will offer fellow veterans and others in need affordable housing in such a beautiful part of the city,” he said.

Via: Portland Business Journal.