View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Why do any of you care what this guy does to make a profit?? What does his condo have to do with you? I'm pro development but this was a unique and iconic location. These weren't just scrafitti artists and taggers. They were artists. They made statements and evoked emotion through stunning works of graffiti art. It wasn't even just graffiti artists frm queens or even New York. It was artists from around the world, collectively creating a masterpiece out of what would otherwise be just your typical, dilapidated, old warehouse.

It served a greater purpose as a canvas then your next run-of-the-mill ode to banality. I assure you a growing neighborhood could have grown around this.

Now maybe I don't have a clue...and maybe u are a son of astoria...but this was the destruction of something great that was shared to make way for something ordinary for some temporary property owner to make some green.

I don't think it is I that doesn't have a clue...greed won.
Jesus almighty...I'll tell you why I care...because it's his property, his building, his liability, his time and effort and his money. I care because a group of entitled jokes are trashing a man who let them use his property, free of charge, for 20 years. They never sought to compensate him for two decades and when he said was finally going to develop it (something everyone knew was the fate for that site) the artists acted like spoiled children demanding that he continue to provide them with a free blank canvas. Forget about the money he stood to loose by not developing this property, but can you imagine how much he was paying in taxes and insurance on this building? Can you imagine, in our sue happy culture, if someone got injured on his property? Guess what, he may be found liable! Can you imagine a world where someone is justly compensated for their land, especially when the owner has gone far above what is fair and equitable and let them use it, for free, for 20 years?

I care because it's his building, not theirs. I am sick and f***ing tired of people running around with this free lunch mentality thinking they are owed something they are not. How about the owners of this building decide to utilize these artists houses for their own personal pleasure? The artists tone would change in about two seconds.