View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 11:06 PM

Modern jets can deal with significant crosswind. There are any number of major airports that function very well without crosswind runways (ATL, LAX, LHR, CDG, MUC, SEA, just off the top of my head.) Are the wind issues in NYC significantly different than these cities?

At both JFK and LGA, the crossing runways limit their capacity. And the Runway 4 approach at LGA interferes with Runway 31 departures at JFK. That entanglement needs to be eliminated. If they both went all parallel, they'd have a huge increase in capacity. Also, I wouldn't so much add runways as reorient them. I'd keep LGA two runways, but they'd both be 13-31s (I do have a wacky plan to add a third 13-31 runway, but even I think this is a bit nuts). JFK would have 4 13-31s (two would probably be designated as 12-30.) Whatever slowdowns there might be from crosswind issues, would be much smaller than the gains from being able to use all runways simultaneously. JFK would go from 60 operations an hour to 120. Also JFK could probably keep one crosswinder, and maybe add a second somewhere, if really necessary. And, especially at JFK, closing one of the crosswinders (4L-22R), would open up a lot of ground for remote concourse development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
There is plenty of room to grow in NYC before needing a new runway. NextGen ATC system will allow more capacity and reduce delays when ever it's finally done. The regional planning board (RPA) suggested nextgen was needed and could add many more operations per hour by reducing traffic conflicts, etc. Also, larger planes will allow passenger growth. It will be enough to put off runway development for a good while I think because it will allow JFK to be less affected by LGA's operations and allow more movements.

You can't eliminate the crosswind runways (22's) because they are in use much of the time due to wind changes and that would reduce capacity. The wind changes in NYC so that it would be dangerous at times with bad crosswinds.

The proposal to make LGA huge is just idiotic. The fact that it is surrounded by high density areas and the need to move a prison makes it very hard. It would be a NIMBY nightmare. Also, the airspace is very clogged, this will make it more so. I would suggest downsizing LGA and increasing the size of Kennedy and Newark instead. Also very difficult, but more likely than this proposal. Whoever thought of allowing 3 major airports within 15 miles or so was very shortsighted. A two airport solution would be cleaner and more efficient. LGA is not necessarily needed if fast rail is developed linking various places with JFK.

Last edited by BBMW; Nov 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM.