View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I think a lot of elements of this statement are very, very debatable.
TUP, I specifically said that its still very contriverisial, but that it is my opinion that the future will show its the right thing to do, so of course its debatable.

I don't understand how heavily subsidizing street parking by charging about 1/8th the hour rate of a parking garage is in any way beneficial for the city. I can understand that people are going to suggest it will lead to more surface lots or garages or whatever, but I think the city is long past the "lets tear it down because a parking lot is more profitable" stage. Heck, look at the last 10 years where dozens of lots near downtown have been replaced by highrises. When it comes to deciding where to locate a company, how expensive the meter parking is will have almost no bearing on the decision. However, when it comes to where employees decide to locate, the location, price, and convince of getting to work plays a huge role. Thus I would argue that higher prices for parking will only encourage people to move closer together.

Also, its much less annoying to park at meters now anyhow since you no long have to carry 3 rolls of quarters everywhere... The electronic meters rule... Except when the slots freeze shut...