View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Cinnamon Cinder, Ventura Blvd, 1963.

Google Books - It's in the Book, Bob!
Thanks for finding that, Noir_Noir!

I thought you were making a joke with the link line: "It's in the Book, Bob!", but that is indeed the title of the book!

This LINK says:

Cinnamon Cinder: 11345 Ventura Blvd., Studio City – formerly Larry Potter’s Supper Club. The Ventura Blvd. location next became the Magic Mushroom, then the Point After (sports bar), then a country-music club called V.I.S. As far as I know, the location was most recently the Maf Club.
_______

When I resided in Studio City I recall The Point After being there.
_______

I looked at the book link to see if it mentions what the name of the place signifies, if anything. Apparently, because the Peppermint Lounge was famous they wanted a similar sounding name. Cinnamon Lounge didn't sound right to them, but they were going to go with that. Eubanks and the other partners were all in line at the business recorders office and when the clerk asked what the name of the business was they were there to register, according to the book, "one of us just blurted out 'Cinnamon Cinder.' What the word cinder had to do with anything I don't know, but alliteration was big then so the name stuck."

Okay...

The book refers to the club being in North Hollywood, but it is/was, in fact, in Studio City.

Russ Regan, a songwriter who wrote the "Peppermint Twist" song that put the Peppermint Lounge club on the map, wanted to write a song for this place. He did and Eubanks thought it was awful. It was recorded, though, and made it up to #17 on the national charts. Eubanks writes that essentially this "two minute commercial running on radio stations all over the country put the place on the map." He also writes, "Some people started hearing Elvis Presley's 1962 hit 'Return to Sender' as 'Return to Cinder'. Who was I to talk them out of it?"

Okay...

By the way, in the above photo, the group being advertised playing at the Cinnamon Cinder is Pastel 6, who recorded this song. Do you agree with Bob Eubanks?

Video Link

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 26, 2019 at 11:59 PM.