View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
As far as I know, we still have the one in Kingston, but they're expensive compared with the independent video rental downtown - Classic Video. The one downtown still does very well - it's often busy even during weekdays. After Robin Williams died, the owner told me that every single one of their titles that he was in, even the lesser known ones, were rented out. They have specialized in a lot of classic TV shows, including an extensive Dr. Who collection, and a lot of shows you can't easily find online.
I think these cinephile specialty shops will be the only real alternative to Redbox for physical media rentals as long as DVDs/Blurays remain a common way to watch movies... kind of crazy considering how ubiquitous video rental stores used to be 20 years ago.

For what it's worth I don't mind Redboxes. Obviously the selection is a bit thin with mostly big new releases on offer, but the price can't be beat and they are really convenient. Since a few of them popped up in my neighbourhood, I have stopped using PPV movies from my cable provider.