View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
The dilapidated condition of the once truly impressive Merrit bldg is one reason why I've long been so angry at all the ppl....including slumlords, swapmeet tenants & their customers....all the ppl who've been a part of a vicious cycle...one enabling the other.....thru the decades. Their departure....their disappearance....won't happen a second too soon.

btw, I love the way that old bldgs look...like the one where the new cvs store will be located....& how they sort of sparkle after they've been steam cleaned following yrs & yrs of neglect.
Citywatch,
when I hear your words I sense a strong emotion that oftentimes I too feel when it comes to various issues downtown. Take the Merrit bldg for example. I see not just an old rundown building, I see a symbol of a different era. It was the product of a pioneering entrepreneur who endeavored to build something of good design, solid construction with taste and dignity. I'm sure in its day it served its purpose well. When I see the disgusting neglect issued forth on this structure (as well as many other buildings downtown) a hundred years later it appalls me. When I see this I get such a sense of disrespect for a thing of the past, something which represents history and dignity. Hopefully, this building, as well as many others downtown (e.g. the current Commercial Exchange building), will be strong enough to wait for that special owner who will recognize them for their beauty and potential to be reborn. Its happening now and I think that the pace will quicken in the near future. As far as the Ace hotel and Clifton's are concerned I think that their initial budgets were not capitalized enough to complete the full restoration. Hopefully, when their balance sheets improve there will be further improvements toward completion. If I wrong and this was an intentional "grundge look" then perhaps other investors efforts will show them up, and set a better precedent