View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 10:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is making the rounds on FB again as part of the push for us to buy back our direct connection. Love it when they think we're making fun of them...

Our transatlantic neighbours: Visiting Newfoundland

Quote:
On the most eastern edge of North America, the people are warm and funny, profusely proud of their homeland and love nothing better than a get together, a chat and a singsong. Little wonder, then, that almost a quarter of the population claims Irish ancestry. And remarkably many of them still hold the Irish accents of their never-forgotten relations, who deserted the British fishing boats as far back as the 1600s.

I was there for five days, and I was as taken aback to hear Wexford and Waterford accents by the end of the trip as I was the very first time I thought I was being imitated.

Despite the accents, it is a Canadian province – at least according to 51 per cent of the voters in a 1948 referendum – and it retains the Canadian stereotypes you’d expect to find on your travels. Think moose, beavers and vast woodland.

This, however, is a place like no other, and it’s only four and a half hours from Dublin. My flight set off from Dublin at 8.30am. Shortly after 10am I was on my way to pick up my car rental in another continent.

I started my trip with a walk up Signal Hill, overlooking the province’s capital, St John’s. The views were amazing, only briefly interrupted by a spell of thick fog and wind - really putting our own variable climate into perspective.

The Ales and Tales tour begins at the top of Signal Hill and retraces the final battle of the Seven Years’ War, along the Ladies’ Lookout Trail. Legend has it the women of the city came here, to the city’s highest point, to look out for ships carrying their sons, husbands and lovers.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...hFl0xRreQl5cVA