View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:08 PM

Being a resident of the East Exchange I have noted two major problems with slow sales in the area. The first one is the lack of parking for the condo conversions around James. This is the city's fault because they are sitting on their asses and stalling the James Street Parkade project. I am all for pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. But most do have a car and need to store them for when a road trip comes up or for many other reasons that transit, walking, cabbing, biking just is not ideal.
Second is the lack of a grocery tenant. Unfortunately, it will most likely be at least 2017/2018 when Fortress finally completes their project with a grocery tenant, and that still isn't a done deal. If this city wants a vibrant, sustainable neighborhood like Osborne Village, we need a good size grocery tenant. Not a 3, 000 sq foot speciality food, wine cheese, or convenience store. The Exchange boasts many restaurants, bars, attractions, and speciality shops that actually puts Osborne Village to shame. If the Exchange landed a big name grocer, I could see this area surpassing the desirable levels the Village currently holds.