View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Gotcha. Yeah that's another area that I would love to see some new dense residential construction, a la Domain or South Shore District. Southpark Meadows has already become such a major node of activity in South Austin it could certainly serve as a town center of the area in more ways than one. Especially considering how difficult that shopping center is to navigate as of right now. I could just imagine overlaying an actual street grid through those parking lots and building some new residential buildings within.

Also, if I had my way I would think it smart to build some more overpasses crossing to the far I-35 service road along the center, so that all the SPM traffic didn't have to empty out onto Slaughter...not to mention the fact that if you want to go north out of the shopping center, your only option is to navigate the parking lots or take the rear entry road, which itself is hard to find.

...I've thought for a while, since the first time ever driving through the area a few months ago that the huge warehouse area around Industrial Boulevard and Terry O Lane (not far from the St. Elmo project) could be a great area for a new Warehouse District of nightspots, restaurants and dense residential, especially as the original Warehouse District downtown has been hemmed in by new development to the point that it's really only the one block of 4th between Colorado and Lavaca.