View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 2:32 PM

please excuse a double entry .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Torontonians started making threads about whether we could usurp Chicago 10 years ago, but they're becoming less common. Our insecurities have vanished and we almost have this unswerving faith that it's a fait accompli. Time to move on to the next target (New York) although that city will be a monumental challenge. It won't happen in my life time.

//sorry, but I do not understand why Toronto feels the need to overtake New York. Isn't that a bit pretentious? Or maybe not. Let New York be New York , and just be Toronto, with a focus on "quality" not quantity. (the "quantity" being the sheer height in this case//

......... By the time some Chicagoans entertain the Chicago-Toronto comparison, the comparison will be largely pointless.
Chicago will remain a large financial centre, but it speaks volumes that Chicago's days as a global financial centre are behind it. I believe it was Foreign Policy and AT Kearney who made that point last year. A re-jigging of the pecking order is a difficult transition for any city to go through.

// does this "rejigging, which is a natural and normal sequence, seems to be interpreted here as, additionally, have bigger, taller,and more high-rises? You mentioned overtalking NYC earlier.
Does this mean that Toronto will overtake NY as the third, second, or even first global financial centre, and needs the height to state that? //

No city is immune from it although London does seem to re-invent itself over and over and over.
//are you referring to the Shard, or to the city centre in general, its building styles and designs? But, hey, that is a remarkable and amazing city// thanks for your time