View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
While I don't really have an issue in Labrador keeping its four seats, the idea that the percentage of gdp they contribute to the overall economy should be taken into consideration with regards to how anny aeats they hold is ridiculous.
Why would it be ridiculous?

I would think GDP, as well as other economic indicators would play a partial role in the formation of electoral boundaries, but so would demographics, geography, population, etc. It might not be as heavily weighted in the equation - but to me it would make sense to include it at some level. Just say, for argument sake, that GDP does play a role (along with the other factor). Then it does makes sense (to me at least) to keep Lab West and Lake Melville electoral districts.

I also agree with keeping Torngat Mountains. This district is unique due to it's cultural and ethnic differences with the rest of the province and merging them with another district would create unfair representation.

However, I think Cartwright-L'Anse au Clair should be dissolved. It has a tiny population and very little industry. It does hold some historical and cultural significance with basque whaling - but I don't think that's enough for it to keep it's seat. Maybe I'm missing something here. Anyone with an argument for, please enlighten me.

I agree that Newfoundland benefits a lot from Labrador, but I think the benefit is mutual. Labrador is a unique territory that differs from the island on many factors, but it only contains approximately 1/20th of the population. I do think three districts is fair representation. Just my opinion, folks.

Last edited by statbass; Jan 24, 2015 at 7:14 PM.