View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
Not sure if this is the place to pose this question (maybe Chicago transportation thread would be better), but I was looking at the international destinations served by O'Hare and I was noticing some glaring inter. locales that aren't yet served by O'Hare. Many of these cities are routes (some recently) by the likes of Dallas and Atlanta (one would expect LA, NYC, and Miami to serve certain destinations that other U.S. cities wouldn't). Which of these cities would you like to see direct service to, that you think will be served sometime in the near future, and the most important for Chicago to have direct service to? (please add any that I may have forgotten).......

- Moscow (huge growing economy and Chicago's sizable Russian population miffed at why there are not direct links already).
- Bangkok (important city that has no direct air links in-between LA and NYC)
- Rio (surprised it doesn't offer at least seasonal service)
- Santiago, Chile (maybe South America's most healthy booming city)
- J'Burg (the economic heart and air link to much of Sub-Africa). The few times I went there were dozens and dozens of Chicago black Americans who were going on something akin to "heritage tours")
- Cairo (huge city that is the heart in many ways of the Arab world)
- Dubai (while not that big with Americans it does itself offer many airlinks)
- Athens (Chicago has a sizable Greek population and would be at least a good seasonal location)
- Prague or Budapest (while these cities aren't huge markets they are growing and becoming every increasingly attractive tourist destinations)
Delta is the only US carrier to serve Moscow (and maybe the whole of Russia), thus you'll have flights out of its international hubs at JFK and ATL. Aeroflot and Delta both being members of Skyteam might have something to do with that. No doubt if UAL were to pick up flights to Russia, you'd see daily departures from ORD and IAD, perhaps even JFK.

As for the ones in Latin America, that's always been UAL's weakest major international region. UAL's strong suit has always been the transpacific market (along with NWA). Are you sure UAL doesn't have a flight to BKK from NRT?