View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Whatever, PHX31 is like a bit, soggy wet blanket. It's all washed up.

I hope to see the Nuggets move past the first round and hit the Western Conference Finals versus the Lakers. But, if not, I want to see the Cavilers see the Finals since I saw their enthusiasm back in 2007.

To piss off Eyore I will mention that Metro Stae has won 4 NCAAA DII championships in two sports since 2000 to CSU-Pueblos' none. Ha ha.
Considering CSU Pueblo has just added football last year it will be a while before we win any championships. That being said Dave Logan, the voice of the Broncos, has said that our new quarterback is among the best in Colorado's history! So I suspect that you will see major improvement in our football team.

Here is a article on our defense from the Pueblo Chieftain, the states oldest daily newspaper:

When the blueprints were drawn to build a Division II college football team from the ground up, the foundation material used was defense.

A rock-solid unit, made up of tough guys who liked to hit, was needed to anchor an entire program.

Colorado State University-Pueblo had such a unit last year. The team was 4-6, considered a success by many, and defense carried the team week in and week out.

An offseason workout program and the return of almost all of the key personnel have only strengthened the ThunderWolves' defense. That was evident early Thursday morning as the defense dominated during spring drills at the Neta & Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl.

"From where we ended after Adams State (a 16-8 loss to end the season), we haven't taken a step back," defensive coordinator Hunter Hughes said. "The guys have worked hard in the weight room and they understand what we're trying to do a lot better now." While the unit remains solid, it is different in its make-up this spring. Several starters from a year ago are out. Safeties Aaron Hernandez and Jon Bailey are hurt, noseguard Victor Quintana was moved to center, and outside linebacker Jerry McWilliams is enrolled as a part-time student this spring, keeping intact for the fall his one year of eligibility remaining.

"Some faces have changed, the schemes haven't. With guys out it allows a lot of young guys to get a lot of reps, which is good for us and helps us develop some depth," Hughes said. "We have a lot of competition at a lot of positions and that's only going to make us better."

One player making the most of newfound opportunities is outside linebacker Matt Cole. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound sophomore spent last spring pitching for Citrus Community College in Glendora, Calif., before switching to football full-time. He moved into McWilliams' spot outside this spring, running with the first-team defense.

"I'm still a little nervous because there's more urgency and more intensity when

you're out there with the first team," Cole said. "Every play is on film and

everything shows up. The coaches are on you a lot more and there's nowhere to

hide. You feel like you've got to perform at the highest level on every play,

which is the way you should play anyway."

Cole, 20, said this is the first time in years that his full attention athletically is focused on football.

"I'm a football player now, no doubt," Cole said. "I've spent a lot of time with the coaches and in the weight room. It's different focusing strictly on football, but I like it."

ThunderWolves head coach John Wristen said the defense "had a good day" Wednesday and that the team is accomplishing the goals it set for spring drills. CSU-Pueblo is cramming its 15 allowed practice days into a 20-day schedule.

"We wanted to establish physical play and a solid work ethic and I think we've done that so far," Wristen said. "The kids are buying in to what we're doing and what the program's about. Nobody's been late and we haven't had any issues."

The team will scrimmage for approximately 100 plays on Saturday at the ThunderBowl. CSU-Pueblo will go five days next week, with the spring game at 2 p.m. on April 19.

"We'd really like to get 3,000 people out there for the spring game," Wristen said. "We want to show that we weren't a one-season wonder with the fans."