View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, I could see them reviving plans for a new incinerator - it's just the environmentalists and the Fraser Valley residents that object.

The Burnaby incinerator has been operating for many years without many issues.

The main problem with sinking a lot of money into a new large facility is that the recycling initiatives have reduced the amount of garbage actually available for burning.
But I don't see why they can't build a smaller scalable incinerator facility that can be expanded if needed.

WRT the Vancouver Landfill in Burns Bog, the City of Vancouver owns that and it's unlikely that it would pay higher tipping fees to dispose of CoV garbage at a regional garbage incinerator, even if it is better from an environmental perspective than landfilling in Burns Bog - at least until Burns Bog fills up.
And then they expand it again...

They should build a dirty sorting facility next to the landfill to reduce waste.

And there were 2 potential locations of the landfill- I would assume one was on the landfill property.

There was even one proposal to put it on the sunshine coast.

Metro Van also had a area in Cloverdale they proposed to put the landfill. If all fails, they could buy land in South East Langley, outside the ALR.