View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 10:14 PM

I wouldn't think it is a bad move to build a tower with a light amount of parking if this were Chicago, NYC, etc. but as a phoenix native who has been downtown for well over a decade, I know that people around here have cars and the reality is there needs to be a place to keep them. The people visiting them have cars and their vendors have cars.

For the sake of this conversation I'm trying to distinguish between what I'd ultimately enjoy seeing (a neighborhood full of walkers, cyclists, and no need for much parking) and the reality of what the city's inhabitants will require (a place to put their car). What you're describing is this ideal world that doesn't yet exist and is probably a number of years away from even being possible.

Anyway, I'm just parroting what the guys in the neighborhood are complaining about, 99% of the thoughts I've shared in this thread aren't my own opinions I'm just providing some insight to those who I know are interested in knowing why things are at a stand still. Finally, it astonishes me that someone in a forum devoted to urban development is so willing to turn a blind eye to the worry that is in the mind of the local business owners who were pioneers in the neighborhood and helped sculpt it into what it is today. Losing a patio for two years that represents approx. 40% of the capacity of a business is potentially fatal to the business and it's chalked up to a "casualty" because everyone wants to see a crane in the sky.

Hard to take a side on this one.