View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:37 PM

Would rather see this building re-purposed. Haven't you guys had trouble with new designs being "pulled back" by the design guidelines? The "historical" design restrictions in the area would probably reduce any interesting new design to a faux/generic style. No one can really afford to build to the design detail of the historical buildings that are aspired to . Look at UT.... in the attempt to maintain the "master plan".... which ends up working like a historical restriction.... what we have are a pile of generic underproduced buildings. Few new buildings have had the investment to match the details of the original buildings. Even Lake Flato had trouble creating something new that looked great (re: new conference center... they have faired the best thus far). Seems like you are better off seeing an interesting re-use. I say take advantage of the 20's building.... I would love to live in it. I wish Austin had more options like that.

Also, question: is it possible that the historical designation is just a tool to get an unfriendly property owner to play nicer? Is it leverage? You guys would know.