View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:50 PM

Well... that's sad that they can't afford anything better than a cheap steel roof. Why didn't New West demand more before approving this?

Yes, wooden roofs are more expensive, but their warmth and colour is generally much more asthetically pleasing and welcoming compared to a sterile grey-steel look. There's a reason why many projects, including Vancouver Convention Centre Extension, Richmond Olympic Oval, Hillcrest Park Recreation Centre, Sunset Recreation Centre, some stations on the Canada Line and Millennium Line, etc. contain decent amounts of wood in them. In fact I sort of wonder if its possible to retrofit the roofs of all the Expo Line stations with wood during station upgrades. That's more of a far-flung fantasy though.

I've never been a big fan of the project from the start, especially with the above-grade parking lot at the front of the station. It still feels, at least during construction, to be a big barrier to pedestrian movement and flow from Columbia towards the west end of the development. That I think was a big mistake... The city and developer should have done more to integrate their historic downtown with the low-density commercial areas to the east as a form of encouraging developments there.