View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 9:57 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Wow, Awesome update bolognium!

As for what Snark's saying, I'd say that this project has been series of letdowns from the very beginning, but that it's concept, and overall design are satisfying enough that I'm still excited and I will be pleased with the finished product. First, they ended up using dark glass instead of the clear-blue glass pictured in the first rendering. This hasn't bothered me because of how the glass is used in the building. Have you seen the east face of the first tower? It's nearly a constant wall of glass, something unseen on residential buildings in the city. Next, they ended up using beige paint instead of bricks, but I'm glad that they are giving it some kind of colour other than grey. It actually hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. Finally we can now see that the roofline has changed. This is unfortunate as it added a little modern condo flair to the top, but this is after all a rental development, so I let it slide.

Also, unlike the Renaissance towers, Revo (what an unfortunate name change!) meets the street level more gently with setbacks and a podium. I haven't been by the second Renaissance tower in a long time, but its podium is all parking, and I wonder if there will be street level retail on York street. Don't get me wrong I think that the Renaissance towers are also a great development for the city, they just leave me less satisfied in terms of design.

Oh, and that new rendering is just hideous!