View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
While small potatoes compared to the heavyweights, I'm still curious how Calgary would rank within the list. The economic activity is substantial with all the energy companies (within the Canadian context), and it already has more large company headquarters than Montreal. It is certainly an 'emerging' city. Vancouver would also be interesting, with its cultural and tourism assets, as well as consistent international investment over the last decade or more.
I think they would rank pretty low due to the ratings system. I read the full PDF and they made clear the importance of having ''networks of cities'' working together...

They drooled all over Germany's triple threat of cities, complimenting how closely linked were geographically and economically. I would think thats how the likes of amsterdam and brussels got such high marks too (theyre surrounded by global cities)
Likewise for the eastern seaboard area (montreal,new york, boston,washington etc)
Calgary definitely wouldn't have done well in this regard, with the only remotely close 'big city' nearby being edmonton. Likewise for Vancouver, Seattle and Portland. All big performing cities, but together they don't comprise a very influential or powerful network..