View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
- They won't be spending millions. I think those proposed stands will be more of the Erector Set variety, similar to Columbus Crew Stadium. I'm also not certain that SCU needs huge stadium upgrades. Additionally, I'm sure the Earthquakes also want more control of their home facility. Sharing with a college campus worked negatively for the LA Galaxy earlier this year when scheduling conflicts forced them to limit capacity for the SuperLiga final because it was held on a certain night. That's bogus.

- The target site for the permanent stadium will be literally across the street (and tracks) but in San Jose city limits. Caltrain accessibility still applies and there's allegedly an entire complex drafted up (hotels, shops, etc.) for the currently vacant/wasted FMC lot next to the airport. Wolff is a developer, not just a regular guy with money.
Santa Clara U. has been raising money to upgrade their soccer stadium for a few years now. This will help pump millions into the fund to finish the job. See the link below ""They have made it significantly worth our while financially," said Coonan. "It is a great relationship and it does so many things for us in terms of visibility and enhances our profile."".

SCU has been in the top 20 for men’s and women’s soccer school for years, I think they deserve the upgrades. They were hoping for funds by being a location for women’s soccer in the Olympics if SF won. Now the MLS will be chipping in.

I just think that it will be odd to have two soccer fields so close together when one would work (its not like this is baseball, there are plenty of days to schedule events). And I will admit being an SCU alum I'm a bit biased.

http://media.www.thesantaclara.com/m...-3060393.shtml

Also, the Galaxy share the Home Depot Center with the Chivas so the comparison isnt exactly apples to apples!