View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:01 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Well I think your condos are ugly, so let's call it even and move ahead with it.
I'm not even sure which condos she's referring to. The only condos whose views of anything of significance could conceivably be blocked by the location of Cleary Station are those in the new Continental tower (which was likely opposed by the same people). Well them and whatever goes in at the strip mall at Cleary, which has mysteriously fallen off the radar.

Any of the condo developments further east are exactly that - further east - so the station won't be in line of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Why not just postpone that indefinitely, build to Orleans immediately (not difficult at all and less expensive) and see how much they complain about lack of service with the east end built out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
Seriously, its getting to that point...

We are pandering way to much towards the desires of the Westboroites; they talk about preserving views and green space, yet they are the first to build lot to lot line McMansions leaving no front, side or back yards for them to enjoy. Not to mention a massive overbuild and shadow for neighbours.

Orleans is looking real tempting right now in terms of extensions. Do we have any idea if blair to Place D'Orleans can be done for under a billion?

In fairness, that's people who move into Westboro doing that, much to the annoyance of anyone (i.e. the neighbours) already living here.

As to the Orleans issue, the point of extending west is to cut out the next most costly-to-operate segment of the BRT system.

And I don't even know to what extent the complaining is coming from people who live in Westboro versus those who live in McKellar Park who in recent years have taken to claiming they live in Westboro. I remember back in the 90s when Westboro Village was a bit of a dive that people from McKellar Park were always quick to correct the notion that they lived in Westboro. Anyone who actually lives in Westboro would benefit from light rail as it removes the buses from the trench (which doesn't do much to contain the noise) and provides a more comfortable transit ride into Ottawa (since I'm going to be standing anyway, far better to be standing on a train than a bus).

It's too bad the NCC ever allowed buses on the Parkway: they should have insisted that the City build on the former CPR corridor. Then the NIMBYs would be demanding the City replace buses with light rail.