View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I didn't know what you were talking about at first.

Are you referring to this elaborate foot bridge?

detail / lol.
Of course, I rarely know what I'm talking about either. But I think I was thinking of how precarious it was for me, as a very young lad, to be in bare feet or flip-flops trying to negotiate the intricacies of crossing over the rails, what with all sorts of uneven surfaces to deal with, not to mention tin cans etc., and meantime the distraction of the probably only half-serious entreaties of my parents to make sure no train was coming from either direction. But the bridge would have worried me too. "I will fall," I would have been thinking, "into the deepest crevices of the earth."

Quote:
And what in Sam Blazes is this??

odinthor collection

OK I'll wager a guess:

Is it a left-over piece of infrastructure at Fort MacArthur?
__
Excellent guess; but wrong county. We're just across PCH from Tin Can Beach here, at Bolsa Chica proper (the estuary). Up on the hill, you see a structure which is, I believe, the remains of a gun club which was there long long before. One of our important old L.A. writers--who was actually in old L.A.--he sat boozing it up under the old Aliso once upon a time--Jackson Graves, describes in one of his books a visit to this gun club. All of which brings us to: My understanding was that the tumbledown structure we see close by had been a hunter's blind, to assist in working destruction on ducks 'n' such.

Quote:
thanks for sharing these photographs odinthor.